Friday, November 20, 2009

What is the name of the song from Gangs of New York, where you see the Irish immigrants boarding the ship?

the soundtrack is highly edited and doesn't have the songs you wanted.


http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00007DT8M/?tag...





that song that you heard at around 1:10minutes on the dvd when the irish immigrants were at one moment getting off the boat and the next moment signing up for the army, the song is called "paddy's lamentation". it is also called "by the hush". it is a song composed by an anonymous person, and is considered a traditional irish song. in "gangs of new york" the song is sung by sinead o'connor.





here's the song in it's entirety.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VCX-Zdz5...


check youtube for more vids on paddy's lamentation.





here are the lyrics.


http://www.tinkersown.com/lyrics3.html


http://www.irishknights.com/6songs/irish...


"Well it's by the hush me boys and sure that's to hold your noise


Listen to poor Paddy's sad narration


Well I was by hunger pressed and in poverty distressed


So I took a thought, I'd leave the Irish nation


Well I sold me horse and cow, me little pig and sow


Me little plot of land I sold to part with


And me sweetheart Bid McGee, I'm afraid I'll never see


For I left her there that morning broken-hearted





Chorus:


Here's you boys, now take my advice


To America I'll have you not be comming


There is nothing here but war


Where the murdering cannons roar


And I wish I was at home in dear old Dublin





Well, meself and a hundred more to Americay sailed o'er


Our fortune to be made, oh we were thinking


When we got to Yankee-land, they shoved a gun into our hands


Saying "Paddy, you must go and fight for Lincoln"





Chorus





General Meaghar to us he said "If you get shot or lose your head


Each murdering son of yours will get a pension"


Well, myself I lost me leg, they gave me a wooden peg


And by God this is the truth to you I mention





Chorus





When I think myself in luck, I get fed on Indian buck


And Ireland is the country I delight in


With the devil I did say, it's curse Americay


For I think I've had enough of your hard fighting





Chorus"








-------


i don't know what you are talking about when you say the irish boarding the ship. i couldn't find that part on thedvd





-------


if you are interested in the new york five points, i have a popular webpage that deals with tidbits of the five points.


http://www.nychinatown.org/history/1800s...

spurge

No comments:

Post a Comment