Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Trying to figure out a name spelled in old Irish?

I'm trying to figure out how you'd spell the name "Myranx" sounds like "Meer anng ks" in old irish. Been trying to figure out the origins of the name for awhile and all i've gone by was the actual sound of the name..Myranx was just what i put together because I lacked the knowledge of what its proper spelling would be.

Trying to figure out a name spelled in old Irish?
I tried looking for the spellings you provided, on Ancestry, for people born in Ireland only. Ancestry does a soundex search which provides similar names. I found the following surnames (I got the same results using both the spellings you gave AND "meeranks" which I added):


Mernock


Marance


Marans


Marens


Maring


Marns


Maruncell


Mearing


Mearns


Merink


Mermis


Mernagh


Mernaugh


Merneagh


Merrans


Moormack


Morenz


Murnagham





Of all those, it seems to me that Merink would be the closest match.





I hope this helps!
Reply:Where did you hear this name. Are you sure it wasn't a modern invention?





also irish has some weird spellings





I know a girl named niamph (pronounced Neeve- rhymes with steve)

winter sweet

No comments:

Post a Comment