Sunday, November 15, 2009

Question about the Irish name, Shelagh, and the word Shillelagh.?

I know that Shelagh is another way to spell Sheila. And Shillelagh is pronounced Shih-lay-lee (or Shih-lay-la) but I was wondering if anyone has ever heard anyone whose name is pronounced like the first two syllables of Shillelagh (Shih-lay). Is it a real Irish name? And if so how would you spell it? If you know for a fact it is just a made up name I'd like to know that too. It's my name but I know my parents made it up, as far as I can tell I'm the only who has it, and I just wanted to know if there might be anymore Shih-lays out there.





(I mentioned the Shelagh thing because that's how I spell my name)

Question about the Irish name, Shelagh, and the word Shillelagh.?
Here is a web link that derives Irish S铆le, Shelagh and Sheila


from Cecilia (Latin Caecilia).





. http://www.geocities.com/edgarbook/names...





Some other sources I've read over the years claim it is the Irish Gaelic form of either Cecilia or Julia.





Shellelagh (the stick or rod used to beat someone with) has a different origin than the name Sheila / Shelagh. Please see link below:





http://wordsmith.org/words/shillelagh.ht...





It is apparently derived from the name of a village in County Wicklow.


No comments:

Post a Comment